Resourceful Decorating

"Cliff, we need to talk."

Everyone froze.  Even the dogs who were hopping  all over the boys on the sofa suddenly stilled.  The room was quiet.   These were mighty words.  Words that were rarely used in our home.  And I knew this.  Cliff nervously waited for me to continue.

"So... I was looking on Craig's List for a new TV stand..." The boys went back to playing with the dogs and the tension dissolved from Cliff's face.  It cracked me up that he thought I would address a big problem in front of the boys.  And the dogs.  The dogs are so innocent and I prefer to keep it that way.




"And...  well, I came across a rug.  A beautiful rug at a great price and it's bigger than our current one and would look fantastic in my office during the winter but could be used to brighten up the living room during the summer.  It's red with big beautiful flowers!"




He looked at me doubtfully.  He knows I'm anti-floral and anti-pattern.  I'm not a huge fan of patterned fabrics in my home.  I try my best to create a warm and cozy atmosphere that is simple, clean, and peaceful.  My brain is usually on overload and the last thing I need is an eye spasm when I walk through a room.

Cliff. "Do we need a rug?"

Me. "We do now!"   We both knew we didn't.

Cliff.  "Is it a wise use of our money?"

Me.  "It's only $50 and I can sell one of our old rugs for $25 which would really only make it $25!"

I'm not a shopper and when I do shop, I'm hunting for the best deal possible.  I scout, lay out a plan, and wait.  And wait.  And wait.  I'm a patient hunter.  Eager, but patient.  I feel strongly that part of my job description as a stay-at-home mom is to slice extra expenses so that I can continue to be at home for my family.  It's worth it.  I shop in bulk, use coupons, scour ads, garage sales, shop thrift stores, buy off-season, and re-purpose.




I also love a challenge and raising three growing boys is definitely a challenge, especially when Cliff's commission checks are low.  Sales, while it can be lucrative, is not a lifestyle I would wish on anyone.  Overall, the economy isn't kind to salesmen.   

So when I shop for our home, I filter my 'wants':
1) Do I love it?  Does it inspire and excite me?  Does it make my heart smile?
2) Is it affordable?  Am I going outside my budget? Is it possible to resell it at some point?
3) Is there a place for it?  Can I easily make a place for it?

I'll walk away from something I love that is over-priced, even if I have the space for it.   I'll also walk way from something I love and can afford but don't have a place for it, nor do I have time to create a space for it.  I'll find something else I love on another day- guaranteed.

Cliff trusts my home decorating judgment - usually- and I like to include him in the process - usually.  In this case, he would be looking at the rug every day as well.

He rolled his eyes and sighed.  "If you really think that this is a good use of money, then do what you need to do."  Of course, he requested that I pull a "Dave Ramsey" and ask if the seller would drop the price at all.  She very respectfully stated the retail price and reiterated that we were getting a really good deal.  I agreed and we set a time to meet.



The transaction was completed quickly and Evan, my 11 year old, greeted me in the garage, ready to help.  Cliff was playing basketball with some buddies, which was good.  It gave me a chance to arrange the furniture and decor with him gone.  Cliff is not a fan of change.

We unrolled the rug across the floor and the boys "oohed" and "awed".  I, on the other hand, tried not panic.  It was a moment of heavy hesitation and doubt.  This exact feeling sweeps through me whenever I start a new painting project.  The roller makes it's first sweep across the wall and I gasp in shock and awe at the contrast between the old and new wall colors.  Every room I paint is bravely colorful and it somehow works out.  

Ugly doubt threatens nearly every area of my life.  I know expect it so I ignore it and plunge forward. I have enough honest friends to keep me in line and lovingly advise when my creativity has gone awry.  

The boys noticed my hesitancy and started offering suggestions on rearranging furniture.  Which we did.  A few times.  

I also noticed how little red I have and scoured the house for items to that could tie the red rug in with the decor.  The rug was a bit overwhelming.   Red books, candle holders, and accented picture frames began to migrate to the fireplace mantle.   After a half hour of decor hunting and rearranging, I felt a bit more comfortable with the surge of color blanketing our living room floor.  It would take some getting used to.




I sent the boys on a walk with the dogs and rewarded my efforts with a nap.  As I settled under my comforter with a contented sigh, I couldn't help but think about how much work a 'want' can actually be.  Sometimes a 'want' isn't worth it.  We pay for it long after we even want it.

But other times, if we're willing to work for it, there can be a payoff.  Especially if it gives us reason to reevaluate a stance we've taken (like being anti-floral) and offers us a challenge -stretching our comfort level and teaching us to become resourceful.





---

Resources you may enjoy:
Rearranging Furniture 12 Different ways - Found on Pinterest
My Inspiring Interiors Board on Pinterest
Starting a Budget by Dave Ramsey


Question:  In what ways do you feel most successfully resourceful?

Comments

  1. Very nice, thanks for sharing this story! I actually just purchased some red rugs for the new house that I just moved into recently. The color red fits so well within the rest of my house, I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Send me your feedback, comments, or questions and I'll reply as soon as possible. You can also reach me through my new blog: www.aburningsage.com

Popular Posts