Confronting Toddlers, Missionaries, and Doubt

This morning I visited my sweet friend, Emily to give an expert opinion on her home decor.   I'm actually not an expert but I usually have an opinion and am happy to offer it, as are most women.


I did not decorate this room.  It's a stock photo that I really enjoy!  Does that count on some level..?


Emily's kidlets were excited to have a visitor so I engaged them in toddler-appropriate discussions such as;

 "Bunnies wear pink bows, thus they're girls.  
But what if a man wears a pink shirt?"  


"Are porcupine's noses soft?"  

Emily giggled as she carried on with her domestic duties, dropping an occasional "Thanks, Mel."  or "You know I'll be answering lots of questions later, right?"  I giggled back and may have had a mischievous twinkle in my eye.  I can neither confirm nor deny...




Emily answered a knock at the front door as I clipped a requested sixth barrette in her daughter's silky hair, upon her daughter's request, of course.  A missionary, dressed up and freshly manicured, greeted her warmly and offered to share an encouraging verse for the day.  This led to a friendly discussion of various topics and Bible verses.  

After a few minutes, Emily smiled at me while batting her big doe eyes and asked, "Wanna come play?"  Code for "Back up- STAT!"  

I grabbed a Bible off the nearby table and headed to the door. I had grabbed a King James Version.  Ah, snap.


My eyes swam with ten syllable words interlaced with ye, thou, acteth, believeth, hither-fithers, jubilation retributions, eternal darnations, and expository proclamations.  (I may be exaggerating.)  I inwardly groaned knowing that I would need to fire up all  mental engines to translate Old English to today's verbiage.  I was also comforted with holding an original-ish translation as most modern translations refer to this very translation.  

We began discussing different passages, the meaning of salvation, the importance of Christ's blood, and dangit all- he was really nice.  Really really nice.  Couldn't he just be rude so I could slam the door in his face?  No.  He was kind, gentle, and determined.  And he was created in the image of God, just like me.  

My pride hates to be challenged even though I know it's very healthy for me, my faith, my convictions and beliefs.  It's a mental workout that may leave me sore afterwards.  Really, why do I believe what I believe?

Side note- I get extremely ticked at people who are rude to missionaries.  Missionaries come from everywhere, all kinds of backgrounds and are willing to go door to door, face rejection, and risk profanities because they really care about eternity.  I don't know a single person from my church who has gone door to door to encourage someone with a verse.  That would require time, effort, faith and courage.  It would require being uncomfortable.  We really don't like that.

Side note: For Christs' sake, please don't call yourself a Christian if you find it funny to be rude to other people even if their faith is different than yours'.  That's immaturity.  And I guarantee you that God doesn't find it funny.  He created those people in his very image.

Confession: I sweat a bit (or a lot) every time I stand up for my faith.  Doubts hum around my brain like bees in a hive.  


What if I don't have an answer?  

What if I sound dumb?  


What if I can't find what I'm looking for? 

What if - heaven forbid- I'm wrong in my reply?   
(Thank goodness NO ONE has all the answers.  Shew!)

My questions cause me to send urgent prayers to Heaven.


"Oh Dear Lord, let me represent your truth in a gracious way.  
Help me paint your divine picture of hope, love, grace, and Christ.  
Help me answer some of his questions.  
Help my answers cause him to research Your Word more, to seek you and find you.  
Help me pour your love into this moment that he can see you and your love. 
Let your Word ring true in his life and give him a thirst to know you- the one true God."


We discussed different versions of the bible and each of us concluded with a friendly challenge for the other.  He thanked us warmly for our time and we all shared smiles of mutual appreciation for the mind-stretching experience.

Later as I drove home, I was reminded of a mental teaching lesson I had given myself earlier this week. 

Start with truth, regardless of the argument.  




What do I know to be true personally?  


What do I know to be true logically?  

What does God's Word (ultimate truth) say?

Many arguments that people come up with in regards to God's Word are not backed by fact.  They are emotion-based and personal opinions.  I'm listing a few below as well as a simple question/rebuttal to get the gears turning.

*The Bible outdated and irrelevant to our culture
Q - Have you actually read the Bible?  You'll quickly discover relevance for any culture which is why it's a world-wide best-seller.



*It doesn't feel right (good)
Q- Does faithfulness in marriage, exercise, healthy eating habits, keeping a budget, or working on a healthy marriage feel good until you learn the value, see the benefits, and pray for discernment and wisdom?  Um, no.

*If God is so gracious, why don't Christians just live and let live?  Surely that's what grace means.
Q - If you know all about Jesus life, can you honestly say that he turned a blind eye to sin, faithlessness, and immorality?  He came to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable (aka - rattle their cages of self-righteousness, pride, and comfort).

*God seems hateful and ready to zap people who step out of line.  Why do I want a relationship with Him?
Q- Where in the heck did you get that opinion?  Seek God and his character for yourself.  

*I don't understand the Bible.
Q-What are you doing to alleviate this issue?  Who are you asking for help?  What research are you doing on your own and who are your sources?  Honestly, the Bible is a mental and spiritual workout for everyone. Check out How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth



*It was written by men so it's full of errors.  
Q- Do some research on the authors and read 'The Case for Christ'.



And check out this out:

*The Bible has been proven to be true historically and without error, even if many theological parts are hard to understand

*Over 300 prophesies regarding Christ were written hundreds of years before He ever lived- He fulfilled each one!  

*Historical writings (scrolls, letters, etc) can be directly translated to match the copies of Bibles we have today.

*There are an estimated 25 million copies of the Bible sold annually!  

*I've watched people with addictions, pain, relational wounds, and devastating loss find healing, peace, comfort, and direction after engaging in personal relationship with Jesus.

*I have first-hand experience with God's truths.  I've experienced blessings and joy through obedience and have learned hard lessons when I'm disobedient.   This stuff is real because God's Word is living, active, and true.





---

Resources you may enjoy:
*Explanation on the different bible versions and list of versions
*Article: Is the Bible Truly God's Word? 


Question:  What questions keep you from believing God?  What do you do to find answers?



Comments

Popular Posts