Keep Your Eye On the Ball

My life can be like baseball.  Relationally-speaking, that is.  And sometimes I don't pay close attention.  I get distracted and take my eyes off the ball.  So it's very possible to get hit in the face by the ball when a teammate, friend, or family member is batting and makes contact.  A line drive.  A crack to the bat, then to the face. 

Ouch.



It's very possible that aim was intentional, but it probably wasn't.  We're just all trying to do our best.  Regardless, it hurts.  A lot.  I speak from personal experience, on and off the field, embarrassingly enough. 


The pain is blinding.   Mind-numbing.  But regardless of how bad it hurts, my team is counting on me to make the next play.  What I want to do is to drop to my knees in  pain.  Cry like a little girl.  Check out.  Pass out.  




While justifiable, it benefits no one.  The only other option is to get up and play ball despite feeling disoriented and confused.  Bruised and bleeding. 

And this is where I have found myself recently - trying my best while blinded with pain.  Mentally calculating and running but going the wrong way. 

Pain caused me to doubt my intuition and experience.  
Pain delayed my response.  
But I ran anyway and I hurt the team.

I could blame it on my teammate's poor batting habits - we all see it but no one wants to say anything.  I certainly didn't want to be the bad guy.  I wasn't the coach.  Why should I be the one to say something?  I know that unless someone's hurtful behavior is addressed, they'll keep on hurting others but I kept my mouth shut.  I didn't want anyone angry with me, especially since I warmed the benched- a lot- despite the valuable skills and experience I brought to the team.  I'm a girl in a boy's world.



Unfortunately, at some point or another, we all find ourselves in searing, confusing pain.  And while we can learn from our mistakes and improve our game, I believe that the bigger lesson is to not sit down and give up -to just keep running, despite the pain, to try our best and not fear the mistakes.   People can see what's happening on the field and we are only responsible for our own legacy - how well we respond in tough situations.  Everyone makes mistakes but not everyone makes a quick recovery to help the team win. 



When in a tough situation, I've found it's best to drop to my knees in prayer then make the best play possible, in faith, and be ready for whatever may happen next.  However, I can avoid the most hurtful situations by getting my eyes off myself and keeping my eyes on the ball.  





---
A fantastic resource you may enjoy is '9 Things you Simply Must Do to Succeed in Love and Life', by Dr. Henry Cloud.



Question: When you are in pain, what types of choices do you find yourself making?  Are they healthy or unhealthy?

Comments

Popular Posts