The Joy of Wasp Stings

As I was tending the veggie garden of a vacationing friend this past summer, a nasty little wasp got all up in my grill and gave me a nasty underarm sting.  It hurt!  A lot!



My momentary helpfulness came to an immediate end as I frantically swung my arms around in the air in self-defense and ran away like a sissy.   On my way home, I chuckled at myself knowing that if one of my boys had been stung, I would've provided the motherly response of, "You're okay.  It's just a tiny sting.  I'll find some first aid cooling gel for that.  Want a popsicle?"





Declaration.  Minimalization.  Solution.  Distraction.

It's how we moms roll.

I was actually stung twice this summer.  Cooling gel and a popsicle weren't enough.

The older I get, the less energy I have for wounds.  Physically or emotionally  Or maybe I'm just less tolerant.  Or maybe I just don't like the discomfort and inconvenience.  It's easier to just hide.   It's safer for me to invest in fewer relationships and commit myself to fewer things that will stretch me, challenge me, or cause me to be around uncomfortable people.  Perhaps I'm just becoming more introverted and I'm overthinking this.





We all have hiding techniques and default habits that hide us from the world's discomforts, painful relationships, or investing in others.  We easily hide behind our kids' schedules, shopping, hobbies, crafts, sports, smart phones, gadgets, or video games.  

Now, don't misunderstand-  I'm not hating.   It is important to guard time with our families, have hobbies, and use whatever device that makes our lives manageable.

The challenge that I've experienced for myself is this - it's way less work to hide than to risk awasp sting yet this is a small price to pay for helping someone else, living an adventure, or making a memory.




Question:  How do you hide and what helps you come out of hiding?

Comments

Popular Posts