Who Can Resist This Face?

Class started five minutes earlier so by the time I entered the room and the teacher was already giggling.  Since the class encompasses students K-3, the main teacher and I are constantly stifling giggles while constructing appropriate replies.  You never know what is going to be said next.

"Tell Mrs. Adair what you just told me, Jack."

Jack, a kindergartner, looked at me with dancing blue eyes.  His curly red hair and freckled nose enhanced his adorable enthusiasm.  


photo:  pixabay

"Well, Sunday we were at an Easter egg hunt and there was this girl from church there.  She likes me and I like her.  She kissed me," he said with a confident shrug of his shoulders.  He paused for a moment then continued with a cheesy grin, "After all, who can resist all this?"  He waves his hand in a circular motion in front of his face, showing off his bright-eyed mischief. His face was flushed.  His expression was priceless!  



I smiled. I couldn't help it.  Kindergarten teachers are lucky.  I'm sure they get exhausted by 'little people emotions' but they have the adventure of shaping the hearts of these sweet little goofballs.




"Oh my!" I said, giggling.  I I quickly tried to come up with a grown-up reply.  

"Don't you know that girls have cooties until they're about 25 years old?" I said.  Jack looked at me dumbfounded.  His smile started to disappear. "Just kidding!" I quickly said.  "They only have cooties until they're sixteen."  Jack looked at me through squinting doubtful eyes.  

"Well, okay.  They don't really have cooties." I said.

Four girls diligently painting at an art station nearby room suddenly erupted with shouts of disagreement. 
"Yes, they do!"  
"Girls have cooties!" 
"Ew!  Don't kiss them!" 
"...lots of cooties!"  

Apparently our conversation was not as private as I thought.

The teacher and I brought the classroom volume back down to a workable hum.  Jack says quietly to me, "Yeah, we like each other a lot."

Oliver, a wise seven-year-old who sat at a nearby desk station leaned towards Jack's desk and says very matter-of-factly, "You know, if you like each other in college, you should get married."  Jack nods his head in agreement.

The teacher grinned as she gave sing-song instructions, gracefully making her way to the front of the room.  Teachers are magical.  Like unicorns.  

"Marriage is a long ways away.  Let's finish our pictures!"

Jack and I grinned at each other and switched tasks, according to the teacher's instructions.  What a funny guy...

Comments

Popular Posts