I'm Busted for Judging.... Again...

I smirked to myself as I walked through the gym parking lot after yoga class.  There was a gal walking several yards ahead of me with a shaved head and wait- what?!?  Braids?  She shaved her entire head and left two braids?  I stared for a few moments to make sure that my eyes weren't tricking me.  Perhaps this was her hat...?  Nope.  She had indeed shaved her head and left two little delicate braids in the back.

Good grief.  What hairdresser was responsible for this?!

I probably wasn't being the most gracious in my observations.  After all, I had been just giggling to myself about a large pasty white man lifting weights sporting some huge fluffy hair.  He had obviously just used a hair pick.  He would've struck envy in the heart of every 80's diva.  He also sported a full, viking beard.  At first glance, I thought he had a little bit of the Jesus look happening.  Upon closer investigation, I changed my mind.  There was nothing about his appearance that was peaceful or humble.  It was definitely wild. 




 The guy was WHITE.  I'm white so I can judge other white people, right?  Especially if one has an afro and viking beard.  It just looked funny.

Now don't get me wrong;  I'm thrilled when people from any background are proactive about health. It makes me ill to think of money spent on prescriptions and doctors visits that could be saved by better eating choices, exercise, and simple lifestyle choices.  Health is so accessible (can we learn to say "no" to ourselves?) and there are so many resources available and easy to understand that I just want to punch people in the face who act clueless.  Seriously?!?  Have you been hiding under a rock?!?  Wake up, people and quit giving yourself excuses!  Sheesh!  Sorry - I digress....  I'll save the full-blown tangent for another time.

I studied the shaved braided girl as she walked to her car and waited for her story.  Everyone has one.  Some people are just easier to read than others and it's often the most outlandish that have the best stories.

She remotely unlocked an SUV adorned with pink ribbon breast cancer awareness stickers all over the back windows and bumper.




Then I noticed that her gym tote was pink with the ribbon as well.  And her socks were pink.  And the closer I looked, the more pink I saw.  Perhaps- and this was a stretch- her hair style represented the ribbon as well; round and smooth on the top and the two braids as the ribbon tails.  Was it possible...?

Suddenly remorseful for so quickly judging her style, I gave her props for her boldness in personally publicizing her cause in whichever way she could.  I wish I was that bold.

Perhaps shaving her head hadn't been a fashion choice at all.  Perhaps her story was much deeper, closer to home, and personal.   Perhaps she had lost her mother to breast cancer.  Or a close friend.  Or a sister.  Perhaps she was battling it herself.  Regardless, she was a survivor.  It's projected that 226,000 women would be diagnosed with breast cancer and that nearly 40,000 women would die of breast cancer in 2012 alone.  This brave woman had somehow been affected by this disease, driving her educate everyone she met if only through her pink ribbons.


Often, a personal resolution to change the world 
has come at a high cost to ourselves.




---

Resources you may enjoy:
*Exercise: 7 Benefits from Mayo Clinic
*How a healthy diet, exercise, and weight contribute to cancer prevention - American Institute for Cancer Research 
*Cancer Stat Sheets from SEER
*Who is Jesus?  An explanation from Campus Crusade


Question:  What health resolution do you struggle with?

Comments

Popular Posts